The Terrace, Barnes, London
The Terrace in Barnes is a row of highly individual riverside dwellings, mostly residential, running from the end of Barnes High Street to White Hart Lane. The larger houses mostly date from the early to mid 18th century. Some of the smaller houses that are thought to have started out as Waterman’s cottages may be considerably older possibly dating from the 16th century. They would have been among the earliest buildings to appear on the riverside boundary of the Westfield one of the two mediaeval open fields. During the 18th and 19th century the larger houses were popular as summer retreats, especially to wealthy Londoners making their escape from the overcrowded and unhealthy city. Many of the original houses no longer exist – several made way for Barnes railway bridge in 1849, it’s widening in 1895 and for Barnes Bridge station in 1916.
This map shows the location of The Terrace:
The Terrace runs along the river from the White Hart Pub at one end to The Bulls Head at the other, with Barnes Station and Physio on the River in the middle.
Looking west along the south side of the river towards the bridge:
Learn more about the next bridge along from Barnes – Hammersmith Bridge